Ginger cake with a cinnamon buttercream recipe
This Ginger cake with a cinnamon buttercream recipe will give you a beautifully light sponge that packs a punch and will keep you coming back for more!!!
I was first asked to make this recipe a few weeks back by one of my lovely couples and it has fast become one of our families top 5
Being a natural redhead I have always had in deep routed hate of anything ginger but this really is to die for!!!
125g golden syrup (you can use black treacle if you prefer)
100g plain flour
25g self raising flour
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
2 heaped teaspoon of ground ginger
0.5 teaspoon of mixed spice
pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin. Pre-heat oven to 170c/gas mark 3. I’ve got a fan oven to I set mine to 160c.
- Put butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat.
- Sift both flours, the soda and the spices into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt , give it a good stir, then add the egg and milk mixing until smooth. Gradually add the melted butter/syrup mix, stirring until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55mins (fan oven I would say 40-45mins) until risen and firm to the touch.
- leave to cool for a few minutes before turning out on to a wire rack and leave until cold (you can purchase these from any good supermarket however I buy mine here
For the buttercream
mix together “50g of unsalted butter and 500g of powdered icing sugar, use your paddle attachment on your mixer on a low setting
you can do this by hand but be warned, it takes a LOT of patience ……..and muscle 😉
once that’s combined and cinnamon to taste, I usually add between 4-6 teaspoons as I find the sweetness from the buttercream can really diminish the flavour of the cinnamon coming through.
ASSEMBLE YOUR CAKE!
Once your cake is cooled, split it in two and fill……
One Ginger cake with Cinnamon buttercream……
As I finish writing this the smell of ginger is filling my house, not good for someone that’s on a diet. Stuart and Clare you have a lot to answer for!!!!
give it a go yourselves, you will be surprised how easy it is.
to keep up to date with more of my creations, recipes and general chit chat pop over to my facebook page
or if you fancy having Ginger cake made for your special day then contact us via the website